“Exploration by real people inspires us.”
Mentoring: a relationship between a professional or postsecondary student, who provides career guidance and support, and our students over one year or longer for one year while in E3 STEM.
E3 STEM Mentoring Program
Mission: To better prepare students for professionalism and practice in college and their careers.
- Learn about specific jobs, career paths, employment projection and college alignment.
- Receive constructive feedback about personal and business skills.
- Obtain guidance on networking.
- Learn about challenges in the workforce.
- Work towards achieving your goals with your designated mentor.
|Thursday, October 11, 2018 at 9:15-10:10 a.m.||Introduction to mentoring
|Session #2||Thursday, November 15, 2018 at 12:30-1:25 p.m.||Life after High School
Discussion of College, Careers, or Military
|Session #3||Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 9:15-10:10 a.m.||Job Research|
|Session #4||Thursday, March 14, 2019 at 12:30-1:25 p.m.||Resumes and Cover Letters|
|Session #5||Thursday, May 2, 2019 at 9:15-10:10 a.m.||Networking and LinkedIn Profiles|
E3 STEM Mentor Partners
- IT/Computer Careers: Thomson-Reuters
- Medical: TRIA Orthopedic
- Engineering: ISG Group
- Undecided: Apple Valley Rotarians
Format of Each Session
- Group icebreaker/discussion
- Guided lesson
- Independent Practice
- Share out/Written Reflection with Mentor
- Homework (sometimes) for the next session
Final Products of Mentorship
- College and Career Research
- Resume and Cover Letter
- Professional Writing Practice
- A Completed LinkedIn Profile
- “Elevator Speech” for networking
Expectations of Mentees
- Professional attire at each session.
- Homework and reflections complete and on time.
- 100% attendance unless ill.
- Communication with mentor.
The E3 STEM program has built a strong relationship with Augustana Regent at Burnsville, connecting CNA students to work experiences and connecting the residents to our students as tutors and mentors. Augustana highlighted this relationship in their recent newsletter.
Our E3 STEM program was also asked to submit an article to YCC, our grant organization, highlighting our unique and innovative tutoring program. The article can be found here.