E3 STEM Mini Job Shadow Expectations
- Parents sign and return permission slips prior to the first shadow session, include:
- the business name and the job shadow supervisor’s name
- a district liability release; companies that have their own liability releases
- confidentiality forms
- List company’s/position’s special requirements to share
- rules for photography
- nondisclosure agreements
- security protocols
- Students spend 8 hours over the course of a week in a job shadow experience. Hours based on employee/business needs and student schedule.
- If appropriate for work setting, job shadows could be shared between 2 or 3 employees.
- Companies may choose to ask students to interview for job shadow placement (Student learning opportunity )
- Meant to be a shadow experience; students can, but don’t have to, have any work responsibilities.
- Students journal what they see and do during their shadow experiences. Please use this 2017 Job Shadow Journal.
- After the shadow experience, students create a presentation to share with other E3 STEM cohort members.
- Interested companies: students can also be invited to present to their hosts/supervisors.
Job Shadow Opportunities
Children’s Minnesota offers several programs for individuals (non-employees) interested in exploring healthcare fields:
The Observer Program provides individual opportunities to observe Children’s staff, learn more about their field, and explore possible careers. This experience is entirely hands-off and is supervised by a professional.
To be eligible to observe, you need to:
- Be a minimum of 16 years old
- Submit documentation of immunization records: vaccines required include chickenpox/varicella, MMR, Tdap, negative Mantoux (tuberculosis) within the past 12 months, flu (if during flu season)
Email/scan immunization records to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested in Child Life?
Children’s offers Child Life Informational Sessions several times a year. This is an opportunity to learn from and connect with a Certified Child Life Specialist.
Sessions for 2018 are:
- Tuesday January 16th, 12:00 – 1:00pm in Minneapolis
- Tuesday April 17th 3:00 – 4:00pm in St. Paul
- Tuesday June 19th 12:00 – 1:00pm in Minneapolis
- Tuesday August 21st 3:00 – 4:00pm in St. Paul
Register for upcoming sessions:
Registration opens 30 days prior to each session. Click here to register for a session. You will receive further information before the session. Please email email@example.com if you have further questions about these sessions.
Gillette Children’s Specialty Hospital Job Shadow. Students will shadow a nurse or provider prior to surgery so they have the opportunity to ask questions and observe up close, and then later watch a surgery from the balcony observation area. To apply for an opportunity to job shadow, you need to fill out the Gillette Childrens general job shadow application and provide a copy of your immunization records.
Submit your application and immunization records to firstname.lastname@example.org.