AV Eagle Convocation Wilderness Experience
What?: When groups of eagles come together in the wilderness the gathering is called a convocation. We are calling for a convocation of AV Eagles to come together on a wilderness canoe trip on Lake of the Woods in northern Minnesota with up to 40 students from AVHS and elsewhere. Students can also earn an elective field science credit or a credit recovery credit in science or English.
- Ask our AVHS Laketrails campers from last year! It was a really fun trip! You will also learn many things while out in the wilderness about yourself and the world around you.
- Opportunity to earn 1 credit recovery credit in English or science if needed.
- Opportunity to earn 1 elective field science credit (called Summer Science Institute).
- The trip runs from July 14 – July 22. You will be going on a 5-day canoe trip after an orientation at the base camp.
- Mandatory parent/student informational meeting on a May 7 in the Community Room at AVHS from 6:30 – 7:30 pm. Presentation
- Mini-golf fundraiser – DATE to TBD
- Gear Drop Friday, July 12 between 12 – 2 pm at main entrance: Drop off all of your gear except what you want to have available to you on the bus ride.
- Group Team Development July 12 from 2- 4 pm. Meeting in commons by main entrance: Come ready to do stuff! 🙂
- Bus Departs for camp: July 14 at 6:00 am: Be there a few minutes early to grab your gear and load it into the bus. Meet at main entrance.
- Bus Returns to AVHS July 22 around 7:00 pm.
Where?: Laketrails Base Camp on Oak Island, Lake of the Woods – www.laketrails.org. Yes, it is way at to top of Minnesota! You have to briefly travel into Canada to get there. View photos of Laketrails here – http://laketrails.org/laketrails-gallery/. More information about Laketrails: Laketrails Parent Information Packet 2019.
Cost? $250.00. Reduced cost to $100.00 if you show a financial need for a limited number of students. If you cannot afford $100.00 we will work with you. Normal camp rate is $550! We will work to arrange fundraising to help campers with $100 fee. First-time campers will be given preference for camperships. We are currently applying for grants to help cover camperships.
How do I sign up?
- Use the AV Eagle Convocation Wilderness Program Packet in the packet.
- The Laketrails forms below DO NOT need to be completed until the parent/student meeting on May 7. You are welcome to complete and turn these in before the meeting if you like:
- You will be crossing the Canadian border. You will need to supply a passport or certified copy of your birth certificate in order to participate.
- Complete this required ISD 196 overnight field trip form – > Overnight Field Trip Medical Info FORM
- Complete this 2nd required ISD 196 from – Convocation of Eagles – Parental Disclaimer for Field Trips Not Sponsored by the District
Turn in the registration form to Mr. Zimmerman, Mr. Fritz or Ms Kusch by Friday April 19. All other forms can be turned in at the mandatory parent/student meeting on May 7 in the Community Room from 6:30 – 7:30 pm. Information form for trip .
What do I need to bring? AV Eagle Convocation Pack List (Spreadsheet) – Sheet1.
Note: We will help you get what you don’t have from the list below. Don’t worry about this!
- Clothes for camping and clothes for base camp. We will supply a disposable camera and journal for classwork.
- Sleeping bag, rain gear, hat, warm jacket, towel, swimsuit, personal hygiene items, flashlight (with batteries), water bottle.
Teacher Assistants: We will be “hiring” up to 4 returning students to help our teaching staff prepare for the upcoming trip. You would help our teachers with t-shirt creation, organization of supplies, parent/student information meeting, pre-trip prep meeting and other organizational needs. Once up at camp you are a regular camper but expected to set a good example for other new campers. Complete this application by April 2 if you are interested. Application – Google Doc version (Make a copy and complete it.)