AV Eagle Convocation Wilderness Experience
What?: When groups of eagles come together in the wilderness the gathering is called a convocation. We are calling for a convocation of AV Eagles to come together on a wilderness canoe trip on Lake of the Woods in northern Minnesota with 27 or more students from AVHS and elsewhere. Students can also earn an elective field science credit or a credit recovery credit in science or English.
- Ask our AVHS Laketrails campers from last year! It was a really fun trip! You will also learn many things while out in the wilderness about yourself and the world around you.
- Opportunity to earn 1 credit recovery credit in English or science if needed.
- Opportunity to earn 1 elective field science credit (called Summer Science Institute).
- The trip runs from June 27 – July 5. You will be going on a 5-day canoe trip after an orientation at the base camp. You will celebrate July 4th when you return to base camp from your canoe trip.
- Mandatory parent/student informational meeting on May 21 in room 166 at AVHS from 6:00 – 7:00 pm. Presentation
- Mini-golf fundraiser – DATE to TBD
- Gear Drop June 26 between 12 – 2 pm Room 166: Drop off all of your gear except what you want to have available to you on the bus ride.
- Group Team Development June 26 2- 4 pm Room 166: Come ready to do stuff! 🙂
- Bus Departs for camp: June 27 at 6:00 am: Be there a few minutes early to grab your gear and load it into the bus.
- Bus Returns to AVHS July 5 around 7:00 pm.
Where?: Laketrails Base Camp on Oak Island, Lake of the Woods – www.laketrails.org. Yes, it is way at to top of Minnesota! You have to briefly travel into Canada to get there. View photos of Laketrails here – http://laketrails.org/laketrails-gallery/. More information about Laketrails: Laketrails Parent Information Packet.
Cost? The camp rate is $550. AVHS was fortunate to be awarded a Pohlad Family Foundation Grant! We have 27 “camperships” valued at $500 each. First-time campers will be given preference for camperships. All campers are encouraged to earn the additional $50 by helping to run a fundraiser. Fundraiser date/location TBD. The remaining cost ($500) will be covered by one of our 27 “camperships”. Please note: the first 27 applications returned will be eligible for the camperships. Those interested and able to pay the full $550 are welcome to attend camp as well.
How do I sign up?
- Use the AV Eagle Convocation Wilderness Program Packet in the packet to sign up by April 20.
- The Laketrails forms below DO NOT need to be completed until the parent/student meeting on May 21. You are welcome to complete and turn these in before the meeting if you like:
- You will be crossing the Canadian border. You will need to supply a passport or certified copy of your birth certificate in order to participate.
- Complete this required ISD 196 overnight field trip form – > Overnight Field Trip Medical Info FORM
- Complete this 2nd required ISD 196 from – Convocation of Eagles – Parental Disclaimer for Field Trips Not Sponsored by the District
Turn in the registration form to Mr. Fritz (131) by Friday April 20. All other forms can be turned in at the mandatory parent/student meeting on May 21 in Room 166 from 6:00 – 7:00 pm. Information form for trip .
What do I need to bring? AV Eagle Convocation Pack List (Spreadsheet) – Sheet1
Note: We will help you get what you don’t have from the list below. Don’t worry about this!
- Clothes for camping and clothes for base camp. We will supply a disposable camera and journal for classwork.
- Sleeping bag, rain gear, hat, warm jacket, towel, swimsuit, personal hygiene items, flashlight (with batteries), water bottle.
Teacher Assistants: We will be “hiring” up 3 returning students to help our teaching staff prepare for the upcoming trip. You would help our teachers with t-shirt creation, organization of supplies, parent/student information meeting, pre-trip prep meeting and other organizational needs. Once up at camp you are a regular camper but expected to set a good example for other new campers. Complete this application by April 20 if you are interested. Application – Google Doc version (Make a copy and complete it.) MS Word Version: AV Convocation of Eagles Teacher Assistant Application.